Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Signs & Markings Technician I
at Augusta, Georgia
This position installs, maintains, and repairs traffic signs and/or pavement markings within the guidelines of work orders, the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, the manual on signing and coning, and Georgia DOT policies and standards. This position reports to the Manager of Streetlight Maintenance Signs & Striping or other designated personnel and works with co-workers and the public to provide maintenance services.
- PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Replaces, installs, washes, and performs general maintenance of traffic signs
- Removes sight restrictions from intersections
- Paints new pavement markings and maintains existing pavement markings
- Participates in 24 hour on-call rotation for traffic signs
- Drives, operates, and maintains assigned equipment and tools (i.e. striping equipment, post drivers, & miscellaneous tools)
- Assists with fabricating special signs
- Maintains a clean workshop
- Inspects job sites and public streets for compliance with the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), Augusta-Richmond County regulations, and Georgia Department of Transportation specifications
- Travel required from office to other locations on a regular basis
- Percentages associated with key responsibilities and performance standards may vary based on area of assignment
- MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
Education: High School diploma or G.E.D.
Experience: No experience required, candidate will be trained to perform the duties associated with this position
- Familiarity with Manual On Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD)
- Proficient with the use and care of common mechanical equipment and tools
- Good communication skills, both oral and written
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as cooperatively with others
- Ability to learn, comprehend, and apply all Consolidated Government or departmental policies, practices, and procedures necessary to function effectively in the position
- Possession of a valid driver's license with good driving history. If State license is other than Georgia or South Carolina, applicant must obtain a license in Georgia or South Carolina within 30 days of employment. ***This position requires driving a county vehicle and requires the incumbent to be at least 21 years of age.***
- Possess or have the ability to obtain the IMSA Work Zone Safety Certification
- Possess or have the ability to obtain the IMSA Signing and Marking Level I
- Data Utilization: Requires the ability to review, classify, categorize, prioritize, and/or analyze data. Includes exercising discretion in determining data classification, and in referencing such analysis to established standards for the purpose of recognizing actual or probable interactive effects and relationships
- Human Interaction: Requires the ability to provide guidance, assistance, and/or interpretation to others regarding the application of procedures and standards to specific situations
- Equipment: Requires the ability to operate, maneuver, and/or control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools and/or materials requiring complex and/or rapid adjustments
- Verbal: Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of reference, descriptive, and/or advisory data and information
- Math: Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division; the ability to calculate decimals and percentages; the ability to utilize principles of fractions; and the ability to interpret graphs
- Functional Reasoning: Requires the ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagrammatic form. Involves semi-routine standardized work with some latitude for independent judgment concerning choices of action
- Situational Reasoning: Requires the ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving evaluation of information against measurable or verifiable criteria
- Physical Abilities: Tasks require the ability to exert heavy, though not constant physical effort, typically involving some combination of combination of climbing and balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, and prolonged standing, which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of heavy weight (25 – 50 pounds)
- Sensory Requirements: Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate colors or shades of colors, sounds, and visual cues or signals. Some tasks require the ability to communicate orally
- Environmental Factors: Performance of essential functions may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, humidity, rain, fumes, machinery, vibrations, electric currents, traffic hazards, animal/wildlife attacks, or animal bites
- This position requires staff call in emergency situations.
- More than 50% of this position requires travel from office to other locations.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job.