City of Atlanta
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Payroll Specialist, Senior
at City of Atlanta
Position Title: Payroll Specialist, Senior
Pay Grade: 17
Salary Range: $38,300 to $47,900 annually; commensurate with experience
Job Code: FI0403
Under the direction of the Director of Shared Services, the Payroll Specialist is part of City of Atlanta payroll team processing 8,000 plus employees in an all in-house environment. The position is primarily responsible for processing bi-weekly payroll transactions with customer service focus, and payroll analysis.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serves as the primary point of contact for assigned departments employee payroll inquiries
- Provides excellent customer service support assisting employees with questions related to payroll deductions and other payroll matters.
- Resolve issues using effective problem-solving skills and support employee satisfaction goals
- Process payroll and ensure deadlines are met and payrolls and reports are produced accurately
- Verify accuracy of payroll data entered and compare against input documents by partnering with central and in-field Human Resources ensuring accuracy and minimizing miscalculations on employee paychecks.
- Work on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Perform troubleshooting and intermediate analysis & research related to processing assigned voluntary and involuntary deductions.
- Adhere to internal control processes when initiating, recording, summarizing and reporting payroll transactions.
- Manage and maintain payroll records, file all payroll related paperwork following each pay period and manage off-site storage of prior year files of assigned departments and deductions
- Escalates or transfers client issues to the Payroll Supervisor or appropriate department as necessary
- Develop and recommend process improvements that leverage technology and maximize overall efficiency maintaining proper internal controls in accordance to GAAP and efficiency in reporting deliverables.
- Research issues as required for assigned task(s), resolve routine concerns and escalate necessary problems timely.
- Assist with preparation of Balance Sheet Reconciliations and propose journal entries to clear reconciling items.
- Assist in preparation and gain experience in communication presentations to management and internal clients.
- Ensures proper retention of electronic documents, business confidential information, and actively demonstrates an understanding of the need to safeguard competitive information in both electronic and non-electronic formats
- TEAMWORK attitude
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of payroll best practices
- Strong mathematical and numeracy skills
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong knowledge of federal and state regulations and payroll tax codes
- Above average ability to organize, manage time and set priorities while meeting deadlines
- Ability to be flexible and shift priorities to meet departmental requirements
- Ability to research and analyze various types of data information
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Finance or Business Administration
- Four years of progressive experience working with payroll systems in a web-based or ERP environment
- Four years of experience working in Kronos or other workforce management system
- Experience working in Oracle Cloud environment
- Experience with internal audit requirements and compliance
- Experience with premium pay, shift differentials, shared leave, advance sick leave and public safety calculations
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite with advanced use of Excel. Ability to navigate within ERP system and Kronos. Proficiency using a ten-key calculator.
- Do you have at least four years of payroll experience? Detail your experience.
- Describe your experience working with in-house payroll applications.
- Detail your customer service experience.
- Describe your experience working with laws, regulations, policies, procedures, and/or legal documents.
- Detail your experience working with Microsoft Office software program.