Georgia Department of Public Health
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Georgia Department of Public Health
The Georgia Department of Public Health is the lead agency entrusted by the people of the state of Georgia with the ultimate responsibility for the health of communities and the entire population.
The agency is seeking a highly qualified candidate for the position of Medical Director within the Fulton District Health Department.
- Job Responsibilities
- Maintains awareness of advances in medicine, computerized diagnostic and treatment equipment, data processing technology, government regulations, health insurance charges, and financing options
- Participates in administrative and managerial decision making that involves the direction and policy operations for the entire department in consultation with the District Health Director. Interacts, consults, and collaborates with the District Health Director and other members of the Executive team regarding day to day decisions, strategic planning and emerging tasks
- Leads in the formulation, review and medical certification and direction of policies and quality assurance components of all clinical operations; Consults with other clinical staff regarding the care of specific patients; provides regular as needed oversight; develops ad reviews protocols and plans for the delivery of clinical programs; responds to requests for consultations regarding the care of specific patients; interacts and consults with lead clinicians/managers of specific programs regarding new issues and problems that arise as part of day to day service delivery and provides care to individual patients directly, or through the review of follow-up on laboratory and other test results to triage care
- Manage assigned staff, including establishing workloads, prioritizing work assignments, establishing performance expectations and evaluating employee performance; interpreting and enforcing policies and procedures; resolving staff issues; making hiring and /or termination decisions in consultation with Human Resources; assessing training needs, monitoring program performance; and evaluating the effectiveness of services
- Serves as the Medical Director of record for selected departments throughout the county that provide clinically related services and consultation regarding medical issues that affect workplace performance (e.g. disability and fitness for duty determinations); Provides quality assurance, medical oversight and pharmacy consultation; reviews clinical protocols; determines if disability evaluation requests have sufficient evidence for further evaluation
- Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of services and programs
- Oversees the planning, development, scheduling, and implementation of health care program and activities
- Participates in the development, administration and oversight of budgets
- Represents the District Health Director for clinical matters as required, in the event the he/she is unavailable
- Minimum Qualifications
Graduation from a medical school recognized by the composite state board of medical examiners Licensure to practice medicine at a state institution or in the state of Georgia as provided by state law is required.
- 5 or more years of administrative and management experience i.e. staff supervision, budget management, performance management
- Other duties as assigned
- Additional Information
- The Georgia Department of Public Health Commissioner and leaders encourage all employees to engage in regular wellness activities and to make lifestyle choices that promote health and well-being.
The use of wellness breaks during the workday is authorized to support this philosophy and assist employees in meeting their wellness goals. A maximum of 30 minutes in a given workday may be used to engage in wellness activities, generally in the form of two 15-minute breaks or one 30-minute break.
Current State employees are subject to State Personnel Board rules regarding salary.
DPH accepts educational credential recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and/or the US Department of Education (DOE) will be considered. DPH will contact educational institutions to verify degree, diploma, licensure, etc.
The candidate selected for this position may be subject to pre-employment drug screening and a criminal background check.
As an employee of DPH, in the event of an identified emergency you may be required, as a term and condition of employment, to assist in meeting the emergency responsibilities of the department.
If you require accommodations under the American Disability Act (ADA), email request by the closing date of this announcement to: DPH-HR@dph.ga.gov.
DPH is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information on application status by phone or e-mail. All qualified applicants will be considered, but may not necessarily receive an interview. Selected applicants will be contacted by the hiring agency for next steps in the selection process. Applicants who are not selected will not receive notification.
This position is subject to close at any time once a satisfactory applicant pool has been identified.