Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Benefits Specialist (810030)
Please note that this opportunity is based out of the Atlanta Regional Corporate Office- located between Buckhead and Vinings area- just 3 miles from SunTrust Park.
The Benefits Specialist reports to the Benefits Manager and operates under general supervision to provide support and administer benefits and wellness programs for MAA. The Benefits Specialists interacts with associates and third party vendors to administer leaves of absence, health and welfare insurance programs, and wellness initiatives while ensuring programs comply with laws and regulations as well as MAA policies and procedures.
The successful candidate will embody and work to reinforce MAA’s Core Values. Those values include:
- Appreciating the uniqueness of each individual
- Communicating openly and with integrity
- Embracing opportunities
- Doing the right thing at the right time for the right reasons
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains records for all benefit plans and leaves of absence; ensures paid time off (PTO) and medical discounts for associates based on years of service are accurate in the human resource information system (HRIS) of record.
- Resolves benefits inquiries or issues received from associates electronically or by phone. Reviews, assesses and provides guidance and direction to resolve within benefit program parameters. Interprets and applies benefits plans to resolve individual benefits claims.
- Understands and ensures compliance with COBRA, HIPAA, ERISA, and FMLA regulations.
- Communicates the selection and value of benefits available through such channels as direct mail, virtual and/or on-site meetings (e.g., annual open enrollment meetings).
- Assists with the annual open enrollment and monthly new hire enrollment.
- Monitors and approves all benefit plan enrollment events in Workday.
- Monitors COBRA enrollments through third-party vendor.
- Monitors and updates Benefit Annual Rate field in Workday.
- Reconciles benefit plan payroll deductions to third-party vendor invoices.
- Administers and monitors account funding for health savings accounts (HSAs).
- Coordinates with payroll and third party vendor regarding leaves of absence to ensure legal compliance and receipt of benefits by eligible associates. Monitors and reports utilization. Receives, reviews, and resolves escalated inquiries and issues as needed.
- Examines tuition reimbursement requests for adherence to guidelines and facilitates timely reimbursements.
- Leads and administers wellness program and initiatives including, but limited to, educational programming, activity challenges, and other associate engagement strategies.
- Collaborates and coordinates with other team members to share knowledge, provide functional support and ensure continuity of services.
- May occasionally travel overnight for meetings, special events or training.
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet the needs of the business.
- Bachelor’s degree and two years of human resources experience with employee benefits and wellness programs required, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with leave of absence (LOA) administration required.
- Experience with Workday or other HRIS preferred.
- Professional certification in benefits (CEBS) and/or human resources (PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP) preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of health and welfare programs
- Knowledge of wellness programs
- Knowledge of retirement programs
- Knowledge of applicable benefit laws (COBRA, HIPAA, ERISA, and FMLA)
- Intermediate or expert level proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint)
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Attention to detail and analytical skills
- Customer service orientation and skills to cope with and resolve interpersonal conflict under stressful situations with sensitivity and assertiveness
- Skill and ability to clearly and concisely communicate verbally and in writing
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and operate with discretion
Physical and Environmental Requirements
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
- This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds.
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
MAA is a real estate investment trust (REIT) that focuses on the acquisition, selective development, redevelopment and management of multifamily homes throughout the Southeastern and Southwestern regions of the United States.
Our mission at MAA is to deliver superior service and value for our residents, employees and shareholders. We refer to this as creating "A Brighter View" and we are doing it every day.
In fact, we proudly display "Our Brighter View" plaques at every MAA office just to serve as a daily reminder of our focused mission. MAA is committed to remaining true to our rich tradition of service to each other, to our residents, and to our shareholders. We respect the privilege to providing value to those whose lives we touch.
Please click on the links below to learn more about MAA’s culture and corporate charity as well as view MAA’s Corporate Profile: