Marietta City Schools
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Teacher, Special Education
at Marietta City Schools
Teacher, Special Education
Certified Position: 190 day employee
FLSA Status: Exempt
Principal and Director of Special Education
Providing appropriate learning experiences and educational opportunities for special education students, with a focus on students assigned to annual caseload
- Demonstrates prompt and regular attendance and adheres to established work schedules.
- Carefully plans for and teaches students using differentiated instruction driven by IEP goals (in whole group, small group and individualized settings).
- Fosters a positive learning environment and monitors student progress related to academic, emotional, social and vocational goals.
- Works cooperatively and communicates effectively with students, parents, community members, administration and other system personnel.
- Facilitates home-school communication by such means as conferencing, telephoning, E-Mail and using web-based teacher classrooms to communicate student learning.
- Demonstrates self-control, maintains appropriate supervision and protects welfare of students at all times.
- Maintains a neat and attractive instructional area that is conducive to teaching and learning according to GPS and best practice.
- Serves as a model for students based on high moral and ethical standards.
- Follows the regulations specified in the MCS Special Education Policies and Procedures Manual, as well as Professional Standards Commission Code of Ethics for Educators.
- Submits accurate and timely monthly caseload updates to Director of Special Education.
- Monitors and supports academic, social, behavior and vocational achievement (i.e., monitors attendance, maintains logs of parent contact, documents progress on IEP goals, addresses parent concerns, tracks students progress for one year following graduation from high school, etc.) for students on caseload.
- Submits to the Principal and/or Director of Special Education complete, accurate, and timely IEPs and other necessary data and reports as required (i.e., lesson plans tied to GPS standards, placement and course recommendations, etc.).
- Participates in grade conferences, committee work, community events, departmental meetings, professional learning, staffings, IEP meetings and meetings conducted by the Department of Special Services and Assessment.
- Implements actions and collects impact data as outlined in our system strategic plan, CLIP, APR, Tier 4 DSS documentation procedures and any actions mandated by local or state plans (Corrective Action, etc.).
- Performs other duties as may be assigned by the Principal and/or the Director of Special Education.
Education & Certification:
- Qualified candidates must hold, or be eligible to hold, a Georgia teaching certificate (1) Special Education Adaptive Curriculum; or (2) Special Education General Curriculum P-12 Consultative; and have all subject areas including: math, science, social studies, reading and language arts for grades 6-12. Math is preferred.
- MOID Experience Preferred.
- Advanced degree preferred.
- Successful teaching or student teaching experience.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities:
- Ability to interact successfully with school personnel, parents and students.
- Ability to plan, organize and implement activities designed to accomplish predetermined goals and objectives.
- Acceptable degree of enthusiasm.
Applicants are asked to request a minimum of three (3) confidentially submitted electronic reference surveys via the online application process and provide copies of all content assessment results (GACE, Praxis II, or other tests required for teacher certification), valid teaching certificates and college transcripts.
For details regarding teacher certification visit the website for the Georgia Professional Standards Commission, www.gapsc.com. Out of state candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for Georgia certification. Out of state applicants are strongly encouraged to apply for Georgia teacher certification.
The Board of Education of the City of Marietta does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, or gender in its employment practices, student programs and dealings with the public.
Job Contact Information
Friday, May 24, 2019 12:00 AM
(Eastern Standard Time)