Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Field Service Technician
at TDS Corporation
- TDS Telecom
TDS Telecom has an opportunity for a Full-time Field Service Technician in our Saint Marys, GA Field office. We are offering a $1000 sign-on bonus for this position as well!
The Field Service Technician assists with on-site installations, troubleshooting, repairs, and maintenance of telecommunications products and equipment that TDS sells and leases.
The Field Service Technician will have direct, face-to-face contact with our customers and is expected to be proactive with the sales of TDS services and products. Services include, but are not limited to, Telephony, Video/CATV/DBS, Internet, and/or high speed networks. Exceeds customer expectations by performing extraordinary customer service, identifying customer needs, and providing them with communications solutions. Understands how to use and demonstrate TDS products and seeks sales opportunities while educating the customer. Products & services include (but are not limited to): Local Service, Central Office Services, Structured Cabling, MAC (Moves, Adds and Changes), Voice Mail, Audio and/or Video Conferencing and Non-regulated CPE.
As a part of your total compensation, #TDS provides a comprehensive, competitive benefit package. The benefit plans address both the immediate and long term needs that you and your family may have. For an overview of what we have to offer for full-time employees including vacation, health benefits and retirement options please click here.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, write and operate a computer keyboard, standard office equipment and telephone. The employee regularly communicates with customers. The employee is frequently required to move about and reach for items.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must also be able to climb poles and ladders. The employee is occasionally required to sit, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions and may have to work in attics and crawl spaces, or high risk areas such as high voltage electrical, trenches, and manholes. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and heavy equipment; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold, and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is at times loud.
- Assists with and performs on-site installing, troubleshooting, testing, splicing, repairing, and maintaining telephone equipment and general network equipment, customer premise equipment, Video/CATV/DBS, fiber optic/copper facilities and/or other TDS products & services for new and existing customers. Identifies location of defective cable using various test equipment and repairs buried, aerial, underground and/or customer cable. Locates cable and fiber in response to customer requests and/or construction needs. Pole climbing and operating construction equipment is required. Locates, identifies and marks company underground and buried facilities to prevent facilities from being damaged. Keeps orderly log of all locate requests in our exchange area. Performs cable fault acceptance tests on newly constructed facilities.
- Assists with and provides troubleshooting support techniques and corrections. Responds to “trouble” dispatches.
- Assists with and provides support for enhancing and maintaining record systems (cross connects, line groups, network elements, etc.).
- Provides excellent customer service. Proactively educates and sells TDS products and services to customers.
- Gain working knowledge of RUS Standards and Grounding practices associated with splicing and maintenance of outside plant facilities and equipment.
- Completes all related paperwork in a timely manner such as forms, timesheets, material usage, and special data requests. May require working on project teams. Maintains work equipment and company vehicle. Stocks vehicle and notifies appropriate person when supplies and materials are low.
- Promotes safety and accident prevention as day-to-day part of the normal job functions and attends safety meetings as required. Follows safety policies and procedures, applies safety training and follows Department of Transportation requirements as they apply to the job. Responsible for routine vehicle maintenance & adherence to TDS Vehicle Safety Policy.
- Maintains inventory including purchasing, receiving, stocking, and tracks regulated and non-regulated equipment and materials. Provides equipment maintenance, operating instructions, and diagnostics as needed.
- Utilizes MS Office Suite, Trouble/Repair/Dispatch Systems, Plant Record Systems, and other TDS applications to ensure accurate facility assignment and verification. Utilizes staking sheets and cut sheets. Assigns facilities and updates system records and maps.
- Technical Certification (or higher) –OR– 6+ months experience working with Low Voltage, Telephony, Electrical or Utility Construction.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license. Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) may be required.
- Upon hire, must successfully complete customer-specific requirements, which may include a background check administered by the customer
- A+ certification and computer networking experience.
- Gain an understanding of telecommunication products and services: Inside Wiring/Cable, Internet/Intranet, Bonding & Grounding, Data & Computers/Transmission Concepts, Fiber Optic Transmission, Static Sensitive Equipment, Color Codes, Structured Wiring, Video/CATV/DBS Installation, Inventory Systems, Cable Locating, Battery Maintenance, Key Systems/PBX, Centrex, Switch Maintenance, Voicemail, Special Circuits, Fiber Terminals, Subscriber CXR Terminals, T-1s, ISPs, DSL, ISDN Voice & Data, Testing & Certifying Loops To Support Data, Voice, and/or Video.
- Practical knowledge/experience with computer applications including (but not limited to): Databases, Trouble/Repair/Dispatch Systems, Plant Record Systems, MS Outlook, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Explorer, and CD-ROMs.
- Ability to work and make decisions independently with little or no supervision.
- Demonstrated customer service and sales skills, as well as effective communications skills (verbal and written) for interaction with internal and external customers.
- Proven organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Physical requirements may vary based on company needs: Ability to dig, lift and climb.
- Requires being available for on-call/standby responsibilities and may require occasional travel.
- Must be willing to work overtime as needed. May be required to work various/swing shifts as business needs dictate.
- Must be able to operate vehicles with manual transmissions.