The Clorox Company
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Electrical Instrumentation & Controls Engineer
at The Clorox Company
The Clorox Company (NYSE: CLX) is a leading multinational manufacturer and marketer of consumer and professional products with about 8,000 employees worldwide and fiscal year 2016 sales of $5.8 billion. Clorox markets some of the most trusted and recognized consumer brand names, including its namesake bleach and cleaning products; Pine-Sol® cleaners; Liquid Plumr® clog removers; Poett® home care products; Fresh Step® cat litter; Glad® bags, wraps and containers; Kingsford® charcoal; Hidden Valley® dressings and sauces; Brita® water-filtration products; Burt's Bees® natural personal care products; and Renew Life® digestive health products. The company also markets brands for professional services, including Clorox Healthcare® and Clorox Commercial Solutions®. More than 80 percent of the company's sales are generated from brands that hold the No. 1 or No. 2 market share positions in their categories.
Key Responsibilities (in descending order of importance) and % of Time:
- Works in a participative team based environment, using World Class Operations processes and principles, plans and leads the design and implementation of medium to large sized projects, programs, and manufacturing improvement projects that include the integration of outside technical resources.
- Implement capital building & equipment installations and to improve manufacturing competitive performance.
- Development of manufacturing equipment, processes, and procedures essential to line extensions, product improvements, and new product development.
- Manage project scope, schedule, and finances to meet predetermined Clorox business objectives.
- Provide technical analysis, project cost and schedule estimation, engineering effort forecasting, design recommendations, preparation of design and equipment specifications, design, review of design documents, development of construction sub-contract documents, and lead construction, commissioning, and start-up activities at plant facilities.
- The primary focus of this position is electrical and controls functional engineering leadership on Clorox Capital Project teams for medium to large size projects. Leads EIC engineering efforts through all phases of capital projects -- conceptual, feasibility, scope definition, cost estimates, functional requirements, system design, scheduling, procurement, construction, testing, commissioning, startup, and validation. Demonstrates proficiency in developing and managing estimates, financial analysis, contracts, and purchase orders. Includes the use of Clorox Early Management principles and activities to deliver customer expectations with vertical and sustainable project execution. Support system start-up and operational checkout on systems including configuration, wiring, calibration, and power testing. Provide hardware and software application support assistance to engineers and operations. Utilize technical materials such as equipment manuals, system drawings, P&IDs, schematics and blue prints to troubleshoot and repair complex electrical/control systems. Interpret industry, regulatory, and company specifications and standards and apply to projects. Provides significant contributions and technical leadership for major technology efforts in the organization, either as an individual or team member. Position requires approximately 60% travel.
Other Scope Factors:
Manage outside engineering firms deliver project design details and to support project work. Provide leadership and supervision to construction contractors and equipment vendors. Manage spending to approved capital and expense budgets based on project estimates.
Years and Type of Experience:
8+ years of relevant experience (Experience should also include 2 years of production/operational work)
Skills and Abilities:
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Motivation & commitment to lead and direct others to exceptional results
- Analytical & decision making skills that integrate technical and business factors
- Effective communication skills in formal and informal settings using both written and verbal communication skills.
- Planning and organizing skills to manage project priorities and coordinate other function activities and cross functional teams (i.e. -- Electrical/Instrumentation/Controls, WCO, Quality, Capital Project Management, Safety/Health/Environmental, and Research and Development).
- Adaptation & flexibility skills to recognize the need for change and to initiate the change process
- Experience in batch, continuous, and discrete manufacturing.
- Strong technical skills related to electrical/instrumentation and controls.
- Strong working knowledge of Allen Bradley hardware and software.
- Working knowledge of NEC, ANSI, IEC, NEMA, NFPA
- Working knowledge of industrial power and lighting applications; power distribution; and MCC, conduit and wiring
- Working knowledge of data collection systems
- Working knowledge of ISA --S88, PackML and OMAC standards
- Ability to develop, read and interpret P&IDs and electrical drawings
- Engineering or operations experience with consumer packaged goods packaging equipment and systems preferred.
- Position requires approximately 60% travel.
BS in Electrical Engineering