The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
LAW LIBRARY CLERK
at The Geo Group
Facility: RIVERBEND CORRECTIONAL FACILITY
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Oversees the assistance provided by inmates who function as Law Clerks to other inmates of the facility. Coordinates and reviews inmate’s case load, reviews progress, and provides assistance toward formulating legal defenses or actions as necessary.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates and provides guidance to inmates who assist other inmates to formulating legal defenses or actions.
- Assists in gathering research data pertaining to cases. Provides guidance on where to research for other data.
- Analyzes research data to determine if the content is appropriate and relevant to cases.
- Reviews and evaluates the preparation of legal documents such as briefs, defenses, or pleadings.
- Reviews facts and law of case to determine causes of action and to prepare case accordingly.
- Ensures that pleadings with court clerk are submitted in a timely manner.
- Reviews affidavits of documents and maintains document file.
- Acts as law librarian, keeping and monitoring legal volumes and ensuring legal volumes are up-to-date. Maintains case and other administrative files.
- Files pleadings and other legal documents with court clerk.
- Answers routine questions regarding legal issues.
- Directs and coordinates office activity.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent. Paralegal certification is also required.
- Two (2) years previous law clerk experience.
- Knowledge of Florida’s administrative process including Chapter 120 Florida’s Statues and 766.015, 768.28,458.
- In depth knowledge of Anti-Terrorism Effective Death Penalty ACT (AEDPA), Prison Litigation Reform Act (PLRA), state tort, 42 USA 1983.
- Ability to interact in a professional manner in both individual and group settings.
- Ability to work with a team of inmates and have the ability to implement team strategy approaches to work assignments.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work computers and the necessary software typically used by the department.