The Kessler Collection
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Assistant Director of Food and Beverage
at The Kessler Collection
JW Marriott Savannah Plant Riverside District - Savannah, Georgia
Assistant Director of Food and Beverage
Pay Type / FLSA Status:
All Shifts / Flexible
# of Openings:
Beginning in the Fall 2019, JW Marriott Savannah Plant Riverside District is set to transform Savannah’s historic riverfront into a vibrant new entertainment destination inviting guests and visitors to experience incredible dining between 12+ outlets, live music and concerts, high-end shopping and inspired hotel stays. The JW Marriott Savannah will offer 419 beautifully appointed guest rooms and suites for couples, families, business guests and groups looking for inspiration, and discerning travelers with an appetite for something different.
JW Marriott Savannah offers a work experience unlike any other—where pursuing your passion is not only welcomed, it’s actively encouraged. We’re seeking over 700 new associates (aka Grand Performers) to fill positions in entertainment, hospitality and other specialty services at Plant Riverside District.
As a Grand Performer, you will have access to ELITE Benefits/Perks such as:
•Hotel Stay and Food/Beverage discounts at Marriott Hotels Worldwide for you and your family/friends
•Free Employee Menu!
•We are all friends here! Refer your friends and get a Bonus up to $2000 if they are hired!
•Largest Hospitality Employer in Savannah – growth opportunities are unlimited!
•20% Discount at all Kessler restaurants, Art Galleries, and Spas
•Start early with your Retirement Plan! 401K match up to 6% - goes into effect after 3 months
•Health Insurance Plans as low as $22/week!
•Stay Healthy! Kessler Wellness Challenge – promotes healthy lifestyle with discounts at gyms and giveaways
•Discounted Bus Passes
•We care about your Fur Babies too! We provide discounted Pet Insurance!
• 23 days of Paid Time Off (PTO)/year – start accruing right away!
•Enjoy the Holidays! We offer Seven (7) paid holidays throughout the year!
•”Tickets at Work” discounts, special access to theme parks and more!
•Recognition Program with amazing prizes!
•Tuition Reimbursement and Professional Certification Assistance
•Company paid Basic Life Insurance $10,000
*****This position is expected to start 4 months prior to opening date*****
Objective / Purpose
The overall objective and purpose of the Assistant Food and Beverage Director position is to assist the Director of Food and Beverage in coordinating, supervising and directing all property food and beverage operations while maintaining a profitable F&B department and high quality products and service levels. The incumbent is responsible for marketing creative ideas to promote business; reduce turnover; maintain revenue and payroll budgets and meet budgeted productivity while keeping quality consistent with Company standards. They are to provide inspiring and strategic leadership while directing the activities of the Food & Beverage Department in support of the mission, core values, standards and goals established by the company.
Areas of Responsibility (AOR)
Primary areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to the following:
· Taking orders from the director and bring them to the staff.
· Discuss the budget and accordingly plan the inventory, chart menu cards along with their prices in the approval of the director.
· Supervise over the activities of the staff to get the desired tastes to the likes of the customers.
· Oversee the duties carried out on day to day basis; provide the inventory and funds required on need.
· Watch over the paper work done while noting down day to day expenses, direct the staff to record the daily expenses incurred.
· Arrange meetings on daily basis to speak about the desirable changes in the interest of the staff to ensure smooth functioning of the orders.
· Responsible to handle the inside matters to enhance the image of the hotel industry in the satisfaction of the consumers.
· Monitor and control payroll and other expenses
· Helps with directing food and beverage services organizational strategies by contributing information, analysis, and recommendations to functional strategic thinking and direction.
· Participate in weekly department head meetings, Event Order meetings and individual meetings as needed to meet business plan objectives and provide the appropriate communication and direction.
· Analyzes trends, prepares critical measurements, develops the F&B business plan; addresses customers, profits, associates and markets with the hotel management team; implements production, productivity, quality and guest-service strategies, designs systems solves problems; implements change
· Helps with the Implementation of food and beverage financial strategies by anticipating requirements, trends and variances; development of budgets and capital expenditure plans; development of action plans, measures and analyzes results, initiation of corrective actions, minimizing the impact of variances
· Approves menus by consulting with Director of Food and Beverage, executive chef, beverage manager, room service manager and banquet managers; reviews potential F&B menus; evaluates popularity of past menu options and availability of seasonal food ingredients and wines; anticipates food and beverage consumption and estimates cost of ingredients; minimizing waste; approving orders with suppliers; monitors the evaluation of the quality of product
· Controls F&B supplies by meeting with sales representatives; negotiating prices and contracts; developing preferred supplier lists; reviewing and evaluating usage reports; analyzing variances; taking corrective actions.
· Keeps F&B equipment operating by enforcing adherence to operating instructions
· Maintains safe, secure, legal and healthy work environment by establishing, following and enforcing sanitation and quality of food and beverage preparation and service standards and procedures; monitors conformance to the regulations of the alcoholic beverage commission; enforcing sanitation and legal regulations of all kitchens, bars and service areas.
· Identifies current and future customer service requirements by establishing rapport with potential and actual customers and other persons in a position to understand guest service requirements.
· Maintain the integrity of Company proprietary information and protect Company assets
· All other duties as assigned, planned or un-planned
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities (KSA)
To perform this role successfully, an individual must have experience achieving desired result(s) in their areas of responsibility. The requirements listed below are representative of observable behaviors and essential knowledge, skill, and abilities required of a successful incumbent.
· Strategic business leader - Works strategically to devise plans in alignment with organizational goals.
· Cultivates engagement - Builds loyalty to the company and not to themselves. Proven ability to host/facilitate effective meetings, motivate teams to produce results with tight timeframes while simultaneously managing several projects.
· Generates alignment - Ensures proper time and effort is spent to build high level performance and consistency throughout collection.
· Leads with courage - Provides a culture of accountability.
· Execution of plans - Utilizes our systems, tools and resources to accomplish results and achieve goals
· Advanced level of written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
· Ability to implement and uphold service standards
· Effectively motivate associates and maintain a cohesive team
· Ability to prioritize and organize work assignments
· Ability to work well in stressful, high-pressure situations
· Ability to work with and understand financial information, data and basic arithmetic functions
Supervisory and leadership responsibilities include achieving results through providing direction and accountability of the following Grand Performers within the culture and policies established by the Kessler Collection.
F&B Outlet Managers and Supervisors
Banquets Managers and Captains
Standards & Culture
Individuals must serve as a cultural ambassador by upholding and promoting our standards.
Image & Presence: Bohemian. Our team is sophisticated and purposeful in their communication and body language
50% Classical European, 35% Colorful Gypsy Lifestyle, 15% Funky California Free Spirit
Service: Intuitive. Our team inspires the guest (and Grand Performer) experience with warmth and deliberate elegance.
Greet, Undivided Attention, Enthusiastic Response, Smile, Thank You
Listen, Empathize & Apologize, Accept Responsibility, Do Something About it, Exceed Expectations, Recover Loyalty
Performance: Extraordinary. Our team rises to outperform and consistently beat our best for even better.
Be Aligned: Collaborate effectively to accomplish goals and achieve results in the Kessler way.
Be Accountable: Have courage, accept responsibility for actions and/or inactions and expect others to do the same.
To perform this role successfully, an individual must cultivate successful relationships with the following individuals to achieve alignment and support.
Director of Food and Beverage
Corporate Vice President of Food & Beverage Concepts
Corporate Vice President of Food & Beverage Operations
VP of Operations
Area VP of Human Resources
Education, License, Certifications, Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Business or related training equivalent - required
5+ years of relevant work experience in similar scope and title – required
Experience within luxury brand/markets – required
Work Environment / Conditions
The work environment/conditions described herein are representative of those that an incumbent may experience.
Must be comfortable working in a shared space, with constant noise, without the use of a private office.
Must be able to cope with frequent changing priorities and deadlines with a high degree of optimism, professionalism & collaboration.
Schedules may vary from week to week based on business demands in excess of 40 hours with or without notice.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is regularly required to move 10lbs on a daily basis.
Push, pull, and lift up to 50lbs on a weekly basis.
While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is regularly required to travel by foot, car, bus, airplane or other means of transportation which require sitting, waiting and standing for long and short periods of time.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an incumbent/Grand Performer in this position may be asked to perform.